How Nucala works
Nucala targets IL-5 and is indicated as an add-on treatment for adult, adolescent and paediatric patients (aged 6 or above) with severe refractory eosinophilic asthma. 1 Nucala is the only anti-IL-5 proven to demonstrate powerful and lasting reduction in exacerbations and OCS dose for up to 4.8 years. 2 3 4
IL-5 is the major cytokine responsible for the growth, differentiation, recruitment, activation and survival of eosinophils. 5
IL, interleuken; OCS, oral corticosteroids
Nucala is generally well tolerated. In clinical trials, Nucala had a similar incidence of adverse events vs. placebo with the exception of injection site reactions (8% vs. 3%), which occurred mainly within first 3 injections. 1
- Nucala SmPC
- GlaxoSmithKline Data on File REF-26441.
- Chupp GL et al. Lancet Respir Med 2017; 5:390-400.
- Bel EH et al. N Engl J Med 2014; 371:1189-1197.
- Weller PF, Spencer LA. Nat Rev Immunol 2017; 17:746-760.
- Price D et al. J Asthma Allergy 2016; 9:1-12.
- Garcia G et al. Eur Respir Rev 2013; 22:251-257.
- Wen T, Rothenburg ME. Microbiol Spectr 2016; doi: 10.1128/microbiolspec.MCHD-0020-2015.
- Khatri S et al. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2019; 143:1742-1751.e7.