On 9th February 2019, the European Union Falsified Medicines Directive (EU FMD) will come into force. The Directive introduces measures to combat falsified medicines.
These measures will comprise of an Anti-tamper device, and a 2D Matrix barcode which dispensers will need to scan to verify their authenticity before dispensing to patients.
This page has been created for HCPs to support with any queries they may have about these upcoming changes. We will be updating this page as more information becomes available, so please check back regularly.
- SecureMed is the not for profit company set up to establish the UK Medicines Verification System.
- National Pharmacy Association provide guidance for FMD readiness and other useful information.
- FMD Source provides UK community pharmacies with authoritative and reliable information on how to implement FMD.
- Pharmaceutical Services Negotiating Committee information regarding FMD
- EU Legislation for FMD can be found on the European Commission website.
- UK Gov provides guidance and useful resources for implementing and compliance with FMD.