Combodart is indicated for the management of moderate to severe symptomatic benign prostatic
Combodart (dutasteride/tamsulosin hydrochloride) is the only registered fixed dose combination in Ireland for the treatment of moderate to severe BPH symptoms.
It is a combination of two medicines, dutasteride and tamsulosin hydrochloride.
- lowers DHT levels,
- reduces prostate volume,
- improves lower urinary tract symptoms and urine flow
- reduces the risk of Acute Urinary Retention (AUR) and BPH related surgery.
- increases maximum urinary flow rate by reducing smooth muscle tension in the prostate and urethra, thereby relieving obstruction.
- improves the complex of irritative and obstructive symptoms in which bladder instability and tension of the smooth muscles of the lower urinary tract play an important role.
- Alpha-1 adrenergic blockers can reduce blood pressure by lowering peripheral resistance
Sample Patient Profile
The following profile is an example of a patient type bothered by moderate BPH symptoms, including an enlarged prostate and impacted quality of life, whom you can start with Combodart.
This is a fictitious patient representing the CombAT study population1
IPSS = International Prostate Symptom Score.
PVol = Prostate Volume.
John – Moderate BPH
- I get up to go to the toilet 2 to 3 times a night. It’s not only me that’s not rested, my partner also never gets a decent night’s sleep either
- I have to go to the toilet a lot during the day.
- I try to avoid long meetings now as having to excuse myself repeatedly looks unprofessional
- I spend more time in the toilet. It’s embarrassing taking so long, because of my weak urinary stream
- IPSS: 16
- PVol: 40cc
- PSA: 1.9ng/mL