NUCALA is indicated as an add-on treatment for severe refractory eosinophilic asthma in adults, adolescents and children aged 6 years and older.1
Nucala 100 mg sc compared to placebo, when both are added to standard of care:†
- Consistently reduced exacerbations across multiple studies*23
- Consistently reduced hospitalisations and/or ED visits resulting from exacerbations across multiple studies**23
- Reduced daily OCS dose by 50%4, and is the only biologic for severe refractory eosinophilic asthma with sustained OCS reduction for up to 1.5 years‡5
Added to standard of care, NUCALA is available for a sub-popuation of severe refractory eosinophilic adult asthma patients. To identify which of your patients fall into this sub-population ensure they meet the following criteria6:
ED, emergency department; OCS, oral corticosteroids
† Standard of care - High dose ICS and additional maintenance treatment(s)
‡ Data from COSMOS, a 52-week, open-label extension study of the double-blind, 32-week MENSA and 24-week SIRIUS randomised controlled studies5 .
- Nucala Summary of Product Characteristics. Available from: www.medicines.ie. Last accessed: March 2019.
- Ortega HG, Liu MC, Pavord ID, et al. N Engl J Med 2014; 371:1198-1207.
- Chupp GL et al. Lancet Respir Med 2017; 5:390-400.
- Bel EH et al. N Engl J Med 2014; 371:1189-1197.
- Lugogo N et al. Clin Ther 2016; 38:2058-2070.
- http://www.ncpe.ie/drugs/mepolizumab-nucala/ Last accessed: March 2019.
- Garcia G et al. Eur Respir Rev 2013; 22:251-257.
- Ortega HG et al. Eur Respir J 2014; 44:239-241.