ICS, inhaled corticosteroids; LABA, long-acting β2-agonist; LAMA, long-acting muscarinic antagonists
TRELEGY Ellipta provides appropriate patients with COPD, who need stepping up to triple therapy:
- A combination of FF/UMEC/VI 4
- The benefit of a single daily inhalation 4
- All in an easy-to-use inhaler 1-4
Life is complicated enough for patients with COPD
When patients have to remember how to use multiple different inhalers with different dosing frequencies, errors could arise. These may lead to poor inhaler technique, and worse COPD outcomes. 5-7
This diagram does not represent all inhalers or all possible combinations. Ellipta, Diskus and the shape of the respective inhalers are registered trademarks of the GlaxoSmithKline Group of Companies. Other trademarks referred to herein are the property of their respective owners.
You can feel confident that patients are using the Ellipta inhaler correctly – compared to other commonly-used COPD inhalers 1-3
It’s necessary to consider the inhalation technique of the patient, as inhalers are often used incorrectly.5Poor inhalation technique, decreased medication delivery and suboptimal dosing can leave you unaware of how much they’ve taken and when. 20In fact, poor inhaler technique can be one of the reasons why COPD symptoms aren’t under control. 5
Studies that assess and compare critical inhaler technique errors* can help determine the useful attributes of different COPD inhalers. 1Significantly fewer patients made a critical error when using the Ellipta inhaler, 23compared with other commonly used COPD inhalers. 1
Ellipta, Diskus and the shape of the respective inhalers are registered trademarks of the GSK group of Companies.
*Defined as errors that are likely to result in no, or minimal, medication being delivered to the lungs. 1
This study assessed critical errors in the most common type of MDI (metered –dose inhaler) where shaking prior to use is required. The most common critical error with an MDI was poor actuation and inhalation coordination. 1Patients were naive to the inhalers they were assessed on. Patients were assessed on whether a critical error was made following reading the patient information leaflet for the inhaler.
Step 1: Open The patient slides the cover down until they hear a click. The dose counter counts down by 1, and the patient is ready to take one dose of their medicine.
Step 2: Inhale Exhale out. The patient puts their lips around the mouthpiece and takes a deep, slow breath in. The patient holds their breath for 3-4 seconds.
Step 3: Close Slide the cover upwards as far as it will go to cover the mouthpiece.
Please refer to the Patient Information Leaflet that comes with this pack for full instruction on using this inhaler.
Watch this video on how to use the Ellipta inhaler.
- van der Palen J et al. NPJ Prim Care Respir Med 2016; 26: 16079.
- Riley JH et al. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 2016; 11: 1873-80.
- Svesdsater H et al. BMC Pulm Med 2013; 13: 72.
- Trelegy Ellipta 92/55/22 SmPC, available at www.medicines.ie, accessed 14 March 2018.
- Global Strategy for the Diagnosis, Management and Prevention of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (GOLD) 2018.
- Melani AS et al. Respir Med 2011; 105:930–938.
- Bourbeau J, Bartlett SJ. Thorax 2008; 63:831–838.
- Incruse Ellipta 55 mcg SmPC, available at www.medicines.ie, accessed 14 March 2018.
- Relvar Ellipta 92/22 mcg SmPC, available at www.medicines.ie, accessed 14 March 2018.
- AirFluSal Forspiro Summary of Product Characteristics, 2017.
- Braltus Zonda Summary of Product Characteristics, 2016.
- Duoresp Spiromax Summary of Product Characteristics, 2017.
- Eklira Genuair Summary of Product Characteristics, 2017.
- Seebri Breezhaler Summary of Product Characteristics, 2016.
- Seretide Diskus Summary of Product Characteristics, 2017.
- Spiriva HandiHaler Summary of Product Characteristics, 2015.
- Spiriva Respimat Summary of Product Characteristics, 2016.
- Symbicort MDI Summary of Product Characteristics, 2017.
- Symbicort Turbohaler Summary of Product Characteristics, 2017.
- Pothirat C et al. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 2015 ; 10: 1291-8.
- Trelegy Ellipta Patient Information Leaflet.
TRELEGY Ellipta was developed in collaboration with INNOVIVA Inc.