What do patients want from their reliever (rescue) medication
Effective initial treatment1
A well-tolerated treatment3
|Ventolin is highly effective for quick relief of asthma symptoms1||Ventolin starts working to relieve bronchospasm within 5 minutes and reaches peak effect in 10 minutes||The tolerability of Ventolin has been demonstrated after 20 years of clinical use|
Ventolin – a ‘first choice’ treatment in reversible obstructive airways disease3
Ventolin (inhaled salbutamol) is a selective beta2 adrenoceptor agonist indicated for the treatment or prevention of bronchospasm.
- Ventolin provides short-acting (4 hours) bronchodilation in reversible airways obstruction due to asthma, chronic bronchitis and emphysema. 2
Ventolin may be used both to relieve asthma symptoms and to prevent them before exposure to a known trigger.2
Ventolin – bronchodilatory efficacy3
Short-acting β2 adrenergic agonists (SABAs), e.g. Ventolin, are recommended by GINA, as as-needed reliever medication of choice:1
- At all ages
- At all steps of asthma management
Data from clinical studies demonstrate that:
- Inhaled Ventolin provides rapid and effective relief of bronchospasm when compared to oral salbutamol. 2,3
- The efficacy of Ventolin has been confirmed in exercise-induced and severe asthma.3
Ventolin is well-tolerated irrespective of the formulation or route of administration.3
- Global Strategy for Asthma Management and Prevention, Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA) 2015. Available from: http://www.ginasthma.org/. Accessed on January 12, 2016.
- Salbutamol (Inhaled Formulations). Global Datasheet, Version 25. 14 April 2014.
- Price AH, Clissold SP. Salbutamol in the 1980s. A reappraisal of its clinical efficacy. Drugs. 1989; 38(I):77-122.