Relvar Ellipta efficacy
Asthma: Relvar Ellipta is an ICS/LABA for regular treatment of asthma in adults and adolescents aged 12 years and older where use of a combination medicinal product (long-acting beta2-agonist and inhaled corticosteroid) is appropriate: patients not adequately controlled with inhaled corticosteroids and 'as needed' inhaled short acting beta2-agonists and patients already adequately controlled on both inhaled corticosteroid and long-acting beta2-agonist. 1
COPD: Relvar Ellipta is indicated for the symptomatic treatment of adults with COPD with a FEV1 <70% predicted normal (post-bronchodilator) with an exacerbation history despite regular bronchodilator therapy. 1
How can once-daily Relvar benefit your patients with asthma or COPD?
Relvar contains fluticasone furoate (FF), an inhaled corticosteroid with potent anti-inflammatory capabilities, and vilanterol (VI), a selective LABA with prolonged bronchodilator activity. 1
Fluticasone furoate has a greater glucocorticoid receptor affinity vs any other ICS, which helps it work longer than other corticosteroids 2*
* In vitro studies used a kinetic method to determine the binding affinity of glucocorticoids in isolated glucocorticoid receptors from human lung tissue, compared to dexamethasone as the reference compound. The relative receptor affinity (RRA) of FF (2989) exceeds the RRAs of all currently clinically used corticosteroids, such as mometasone furoate (MF; RRA 2244), fluticasone propionate (FP; RRA 1775) or budesonide (RRA 885). 2
Vilanterol maintained significant in vitro airway relaxation vs placebo at 22 hours post-administration, when compared with salmeterol 3*
***P˂0.0001 for vilanterol and salmeterol at 2 and 4 h, **P˂0.01 for vilanterol at 22 h, Student’s unpaired t test
Onset and duration of action of vilanterol and salmeterol in precontracted human small airways precision-cut lung slices (PCLS). The duration of action of vilanterol and salmeterol in PCLS was demonstrated by repeated determination of the contractile response of a small airway to 0.3 mM carbachol, elicited at different times after a 1-h preincubation with vilanterol, salmeterol, or placebo. Data shown are mean values ±S.E.M. for at least four replicates using lung tissue from four different patients. Statistical significance is denoted for vilanterol and salmeterol at each time point in comparison with corresponding values obtained for vehicle-treated airway. 3
- Relvar Ellipta Summary of Product Characteristics, GlaxoSmithKline
- Valotis A & Högger P. Human receptor kinetics and lung tissue retention of the enhanced-affinity glucocorticoid fluticasone furoate. Resp Res. 2007; 8: 54.
- Slack RJ et al. In vitro pharmacological characterization of vilanterol, a novel long-acting 2-adrenoceptor agonist with 24-hour duration of action. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2013; 344: 218–230.
- Bernstein DI et al. Fluticasone furoate (FF)/vilanterol (100/25 mcg or 200/25 mcg) or FF (100mcg) in persistent asthma. J Asthma. 2015; 52(10): 1073–1083.
- Boscia JA et al. Effect of once-daily fluticasone furoate/vilanterol on 24-hour pulmonary function in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a randomized, three-way, incomplete block, crossover study. Clin Ther. 2012; 34(8): 1655–1666.e5.
- Vestbo J et al. Effectiveness of Fluticasone Furoate-Vilanterol for COPD in Clinical Practice. NEJM 2016. DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa1608033.