SOC=standard of care.
NUCALA: Proven protection from exacerbations requiring
Trend of greater reduction in exacerbations with
increasing blood eosinophil level
Post hoc analysis: MENSA2
NUCALA: Exacerbation rate in severe eosinophilic asthma
patients by presence of nasal polyps
Results are descriptive.
Mean baseline blood eosinophil levels: current nasal polyps, 440 cells/µL; no nasal polyps, 290 cells/µL; total patient population, 330 cells/µL.2
*Nasal polyps reported by patient and assessed by investigator at baseline.
MENSA/MUSCA post hoc study design: Post hoc meta-analysis that evaluated annual rate of exacerbations in select subgroups of patients with severe eosinophilic asthma.
NUCALA: Exacerbation rate in severe eosinophilic
asthma patients by atopic status
Results are descriptive.
Of the total population (N=936), 907 patients had analyzable data.9
* Positive atopic status defined as a RAST score ≥3 (ie, High or Very High allergic response) on at least 1 of 5 allergens: house dust mite, dog dander, cat dander, Alternaria, and cockroach.9
Patients treated with NUCALA achieved greater reductions in daily OCS dose while maintaining asthma control vs placebo (P=0.008)
Sensitivity analysis*: Daily OCS dose reduction
*Sensitivity analysis to the primary endpoint.
- Ortega HG, Liu MC, Pavord ID, et al. Mepolizumab treatment in patients with severe eosinophilic asthma. N Engl J Med. 2014;371(13):1198-1207.
- Data on file, GSK.
- Juniper JF, Svensson K, Mörk AC, Stahl E. Measurement properties and interpretation of three shortened versions of the asthma control questionnaire. Respir Med. 2005;99(5):553-558.
- Jones PW, Quirk FH, Baveystock CM, Littlejohns P. A self-complete measure of health status for chronic airflow limitation. The St. George’s Respiratory Questionnaire. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1992:145(6):1321-1327.
- Jones PW. Interpreting thresholds for a clinically significant change in health status in asthma and COPD. Eur Respir J. 2002;19(3):398-404.
- Ortega HG, Yancey SW, Mayer B, et al. Severe eosinophilic asthma treated with mepolizumab stratified by baseline eosinophil thresholds: a secondary analysis of the DREAM and MENSA studies. Lancet Respir Med. 2016;4(7):549-556.
- Chupp GL, Bradford ES, Albers FC, et al. Efficacy of mepolizumab add-on therapy on health-related quality of life and markers of asthma control in severe eosinophilic asthma (MUSCA): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group, multicentre, phase 3b trial. Lancet Respir Med. 2017; 5(5):390-400.
- Bel EH, Wenzel SE, Thompson PJ, et al. Oral glucocorticoid-sparing effect of mepolizumab in eosinophilic asthma. N Engl J Med. 2014;371(13):1189-1197.
- Humbert M, Albers FC, Bratton DJ, et al. Effect of mepolizumab in severe eosinophilic asthma according to omalizumab eligibility. Resp Med. 2019;154:69-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rmed.2019.06.004.