|Recommended for the prevention of herpes zoster and related complications for immunocompetent adults aged ≥50 years|
|Recommended for the prevention of herpes zoster and related complications for immunocompetent adults who previously received zoster vaccine live (ZVL)|
|Preferred over ZVL for the prevention of herpes zoster and related complications|
Please see Important Considerations below.
2018 CDC Recommendations: Important Considerations Related to Alternate Dosing, Concomitant Use, Patients Previously Vaccinated With ZVL, and Persons With a Prior History of Herpes Zoster
This article contains dosing schedule information that is inconsistent with the label. According to the Prescribing Information for SHINGRIX, 2 doses (0.5 mL each) should be administered intramuscularly according to the following schedule: A first dose at Month 0 followed by a second dose administered anytime between 2 and 6 months later.2
SHINGRIX was administered concomitantly with FLUARIX QUADRIVALENT (Influenza Vaccine) in an open-label clinical study of subjects 50 years and older (N=828). There was no evidence of interference in the immune response to any of the antigens contained in SHINGRIX or the coadministered vaccine.3
Patients Previously Vaccinated With ZVL
- There are limited data on vaccination with SHINGRIX in patients previously vaccinated with ZVL compared to those not previously vaccinated with ZVL2
- In a phase 3 study, humoral immunogenicity was non-inferior among subjects previously vaccinated at least 5 years earlier with ZVL
- No apparent safety differences were observed between study groups within 30 days post-dose 2 of SHINGRIX
- Solicited local and systemic symptoms were similar between study groups
- The levels of antibodies and immune cells that correlate with protection against shingles have not been clearly defined
Persons With a Prior History of Herpes Zoster
The pivotal clinical trials for SHINGRIX excluded patients with a prior history of herpes zoster.
There are no head-to-head clinical trials comparing the efficacy and safety of SHINGRIX to ZVL
ACIP=Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices; CDC=Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices for use of herpes zoster vaccines. MMWR. 2018;67(3):103-108.
- Grupping K, Campora L, Douha M, et al. Immunogenicity and safety of the HZ/su adjuvanted herpes zoster subunit vaccine in adults previously vaccinated with a live attenuated herpes zoster vaccine. J Infect Dis. 2017;216(11):1343-1351.
- Prescribing Information for SHINGRIX.