retired or quit working earlier than planned
reduced their work hours
Improving SLE patient interactions
Good communication between patients and providers is critical. Unfortunately, patients sometimes have a hard time talking to their providers about their own health. In one study,† 52% of patients reported that they minimize their symptoms when talking to physicians, while 72% of physicians are unaware that patients tend to underreport their symptoms.11
Involve your patient in the SLE management plan
Define clear goals
Be an active listener
Help your patient understand the disease
Encourage your patient to ask questions
*Retrospective analysis using data of the Nationwide Inpatient Sample (NIS), Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project, of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality from 1996-2011.
†Data from the 2011 National Burden of Lupus survey was funded and developed by GSK. This survey included 957 people in the lupus community — 502 people who reported being diagnosed with SLE, 204 supporters (family members or friends) of people with lupus and 251 rheumatologists.
- American College of Rheumatology Ad Hoc Committee on Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Guidelines. Guidelines for referral and management of systemic lupus erythematosus in adults. Arthritis Rheum. 1999;42(9):1785-1796. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10513791. Accessed February 6, 2020.
- Askanase A. Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE): Understanding and Addressing Patient Needs. Patient Care Insights. Published 2015.
- Boomsma MM, Bijl M, Stegeman CA, et al. Patients' perceptions of the effects of systemic lupus erythematosus on health, function, income, and interpersonal relationships: a comparison with Wegener's granulomatosis. Arthritis Rheum. 2002;47:196-201. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/art.10341. Accessed February 6, 2020.
- Katz P, Morris A, Trupin L, et al. Disability in valued life activities among individuals with systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum. 2008;59(4):465-473. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/art.23536. Accessed February 6, 2020.
- Kiani AN, Strand V, Fang H, et al. Predictors of self-reported health-related quality of life in systemic lupus erythematosus. Rheumatology. 2013;52(9):1651-1657. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/rheumatology/ket171. Accessed February 6, 2020.
- Panopalis P, Yazdany J, Gillis JZ, et al. Health care costs and costs associated with changes in work productivity among persons with systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum. 2008;59(12):1788-1795. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/art.24063. Accessed February 6, 2020.
- Chakravarty EF, Bush TM, Manzi S, et al. Prevalence of adult systemic lupus erythematosus in California and Pennsylvania in 2000: estimates obtained using hospitalization data. Arthritis Rheum. 2007;56(6):2092-2094. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/art.22641. Accessed February 6, 2020.
- Yazdany J, Marafino BJ, Dean ML, et al. Thirty-day hospital readmission in systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum. 2014;66(10):2828-2836. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/art.38768. Accessed February 6, 2020.
- Tektonidou MG, Wang Z, Ward MM. Burden of Serious Infections in Adults With Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: A National Population-Based Study, 1996-2011. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2015;67(8):1078-85. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/acr.22575. Accessed February 6, 2020.
- Bernatsky S, Boivin JF, Joseph L, et al. Mortality in systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum. 2006;54(8):2550-2557. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/art.21955. Accessed February 6, 2020.
- Lupus: A Survey Among SLE Patients, Physicians, and Supporters. New York, NY: GfK Roper Public Affairs & Corporate Communications; October 2011.
- Beusterien K, Bell JA, Grinspan J, et al. Physician-patient interactions and outcomes in systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE): a conceptual model. Lupus. 2013;22(10):1038-1045. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0961203313499958. Accessed February 6, 2020.