What is Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE)?
SLE is a chronic, multisystem autoimmune disorder that can affect nearly every major organ system, causing inflammation, tissue injury, organ damage, and, ultimately, organ dysfunction.1 Severity of the disease can vary from mild to potentially fatal. The course of the disease over the patient's life is also highly variable.1
Pathogenesis of SLE
SLE is characterized by the pathologic production of antibodies directed against self-antigens.2 Multiple factors result in systemic immune dysregulation leading to SLE:
- American College of Rheumatology Ad Hoc Committee on Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Guidelines. Guidelines for referral and management of systemic lupus erythematosus in adults. Arthritis Rheum. 1999;42(9):1785-1796. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10513791. Accessed February 6, 2020.
- Moulton V, Suarez-Fueyo A, Meidan E,et al. Pathogenesis of Human Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: A Cellular Perspective. Trends Mol Med. 2017 July: 23(7):615-635. doi:10.1016/j.molmed.2017.05.006.
- Stockl A. Complex syndromes, ambivalent diagnosis, and existential uncertainty: The case of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). Soc Sci Med. 2007;65(7):1549-1559. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2007.05.016. Accessed February 6, 2020.
- Bertsias G, Cervera R, Boumpas DT. Systemic lupus erythematosus: pathogenesis and clinical features. In: EULAR Textbook on Rheumatic Diseases. 476-505. http://www.eular.org/myUploadData/files/sample%20chapter20_mod%2017.pdf. Accessed February 6, 2020.
- Pons-Estel GJ, Alarcón GS, Scofield L, et al. Understanding the epidemiology and progression of systemic lupus erythematosus. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2010;39(4):257. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.semarthrit.2008.10.007. Accessed February 6, 2020.
- Somers EC, Marder W, Cagnoli P, et al. Population-based incidence and prevalence of systemic lupus erythematosus: the Michigan Lupus Epidemiology and Surveillance program. Arthritis Rheum. 2014;66(2):369-378. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/art.38238. Accessed February 6, 2020.
- Dall’Era M, Cisternas MG, Snipes K, et al. The Incidence and Prevalence of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus in San Francisco County, California: The California Lupus Surveillance Project. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2017;69(10):1996-2005. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/art.40191. Accessed March 11, 2020.
- US Census Bureau. https://www.census.gov/popclock/. Accessed December 25, 2019.
- Howard CH, Mayhew SL. The pharmacist's role in the treatment of systemic lupus erythematosus. US Pharm. 2006;5:39-48. https://www.uspharmacist.com/article/the-pharmacists-role-in-the-treatment-of-systemic-lupus-erythematosus. Accessed February 6, 2020.
- Tucker LB, Uribe AG, Fernandez M, et al. Adolescent onset of lupus results in more aggressive disease and worse outcomes: results of a nested matched case-control study within LUMINA, a multiethnic US cohort (LUMINA LVII). Lupus. 2008;17(4):314-322. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0961203307087875. Accessed February 6, 2020.
- Lim SS, Bayakly AR, Helmick CG, et al. The incidence and prevalence of systemic lupus erythematosus, 2002-2004: The Georgia Lupus Registry. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2014:66:357-368.
- Bernatsky S, Boivin JF, Joseph L, et al. Mortality in systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum. 2006;54(8):2550-2557. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/art.21955. Accessed February 6, 2020.
- Panopalis P, Yazdany J, Gillis JZ, et al. Health care costs and costs associated with changes in work productivity among persons with systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum. 2008;59(12):1788-95. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/art.24063. Accessed February 6, 2020.
- Yazdany J,Marafino BJ, Dean ML, et al. Thirty-day hospital readmissions in systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthirits Rheum. 2014;66(10):2828-2836. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/art.38768. Accessed February 6, 2020.