Relvar’s Safety Profile
Common adverse events
|Common adverse events|
|Headache (very common)||Upper respiratory tract infections|
|Nasopharyngitis (very common)||Influenza|
|Candidiasis of mouth and throat||Cough|
Relvar vs Seretide
Comparison in asthma
Comparison in COPD
In a 12-week study, Relvar 92/22 mcg OD, displayed a similar rate of adverse events vs Seretide 500/50 mcg BD. 5
*A 12-week study comparing Relvar Ellipta 92/22 mcg OD to Seretide 500/50 mcg BD in patients with moderate to very severe COPD (n=528). 5
- In two replicate 12-month studies in a total of 3,255 COPD patients with an exacerbation in the previous year, pneumonia occurred in 6.3% of patients receiving Relvar, compared with 3.3% of patients receiving Vilanterol only 8**
- There is no conclusive clinical evidence for intra-class differences in the magnitude of the pneumonia risk among ICS products 1
*Usual care was defined as physician’s free choice of COPD maintenance therapy 7
**Relvar Ellipta 92/22 mcg OD vs vilanterol (VI) 22 mcg OD (3%) 8
Risk factors for pneumonia in patients with COPD include: 9
- Current smoking
- Older age
- Low body mass index (BMI)
- Severe COPD
Physicians should remain vigilant for the possible development of pneumonia in patients with COPD as the clinical features of such infections overlap with the symptoms of COPD exacerbations.9
Patients with COPD should be offered influenza and pneumococcal vaccinations. 9
The pneumonia that may occur with Relvar should be managed according to existing local protocols for management of pneumonia.
- Relvar Summary of Product Characteristics, GlaxoSmithKline
- RelvarSummary of Product Characteristics, GlaxoSmithKline
- Seretide Diskus Summary of Product Characteristics, GlaxoSmithKline
- Woodcock A et al. Efficacy and safety of fluticasone furoate/vilanterol compared with fluticasone propionate/salmeterol combination in adult and adolescent patients with persistent asthma: a randomized trial. Chest. 2013; 144(4): 1222-1229.
- Agusti A et al. A comparison of the efficacy and safety of once-daily fluticasone furoate/vilanterol with twice-daily fluticasone propionate/salmeterol in moderate to very severe COPD. Eur Respir J. 2014; 42(3): 763-772.
- Kew KM et al. Inhaled steroids and risk of pneumonia for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Cochrane Data Syst Rev. 2014; Issue 3. Art. No.: CD010115.DOI:10.1002/14651858.CD010115.pub2.
- Vestbo J et al. Effectiveness of Fluticasone Furoate-Vilanterol in COPD in Clinical Practice. NEJM 2016. DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa1608033.
- Dransfield MT et al. Once-daily inhaled fluticasone furoate and vilanterol versus vilanterol only for prevention of exacerbations of COPD: two replicate double-blind, parallel-group, randomized controlled trials. Lancet Resp Med. 2013; 1(3): 210-223.
- Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease. Global Strategy for the Diagnosis, Management and Prevention of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (Updated 2017). http://goldcopd.org/gold-2017-global-strategy-diagnosis-management-prevention-copd/(Accessed 16/11/2016).