Ellipta inhaler products
The Ellipta inhaler product range is a portfolio of evidence-based medicines for COPD and Asthma, all delivered in the same easy-to-use device. 1
To find out how the Ellipta portfolio can help your patients, explore the products below:
Trelegy Ellipta (fluticasone furoate / umeclidinium / vilanterol)
Trelegy Ellipta is indicated as a maintenance treatment in adult patients with moderate to severe COPD who are not adequately treated by a combination of an inhaled corticosteroid (ICS) and a long-acting β2-agonist (LABA) or a combination of a long-acting muscarinic antagonist (LAMA) and a long-acting β2-agonist (LABA). 2
Anoro Ellipta (umeclidinium / vilanterol inhalation powder)
Anoro is indicated as a maintenance bronchodilator treatment to relieve symptoms in adult patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). 3
Relvar Ellipta (fluticasone furoate/vilanterol inhalation powder)
Relvar Ellipta (92 micrograms/22 micrograms inhalation powder and 184 micrograms/22 micrograms inhalation powder) is indicated for the regular treatment of asthma in adults and adolescents aged 12 years and older where use of a combination medicinal product (long-acting beta2-agonist and inhaled corticosteroid) is appropriate: patients not adequately controlled with inhaled corticosteroids and 'as needed' inhaled short acting beta2-agonists; patients already adequately controlled on both inhaled corticosteroid and long-acting beta2-agonist. 4
Incruse Ellipta (umeclidinium bromide inhalation powder)
Incruse Ellipta is indicated for the maintenance bronchodilator treatment to relieve symptoms in adult patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). 5
Ellipta Inhaler Device
Note: The Ellipta demonstration inhaler should be replaced once the dose counter reaches zero.
IMPORTANT: The Ellipta demonstration device is intended for demonstrating only and not for patient use. Patients should not put the demonstration inhaler in their mouth.
How to use the Ellipta inhaler
The package should only be opened when the patient is ready to begin using the inhaler. Once it is, tear open the foil, it should be used within 6 weeks. The "Discard by" date should be written on the inhaler label in the space provided. The “Discard by” date is 6 weeks from the date of opening the tray. After this date the inhaler should no longer be used. The tray can be discarded after first opening.
Stepwise approach for patients:
- Slide the cover down until you hear a ‘click’
- While holding the inhaler away from your mouth, breathe out as far as is comfortable
- Put the mouthpiece between your lips, and close your lips firmly around it
- Take one long, steady, deep breath in and hold this breath for at least 3-4 seconds
- Remove the inhaler from your mouth and breathe out slowly and gently
- Slide the cover upwards as far as it will go to cover the mouthpiece
- It is not necessary to clean the mouthpiece. If you choose to do so, always use a dry tissue
Always advise patients to read the instructions in the product's patient information leaflet prior to use.
IMPORTANT: The Ellipta Inhalation Trainer is designed to show the HCP that a patient is using the correct inhalation technique for the Ellipta device. If used correctly the trainer will make a whistling sound.
Before your patient starts using their active inhaler, you should consider the following:
The Ellipta demonstration inhaler is packaged in a tray containing a dessicant gel sachet, which should be thrown away with the other packaging.
When it is taken out of the tray, the inhaler will be in the ‘closed’ position (the cover will be shut). It is ready to use straight from the packaging, so there is no need to prepare it for use in any special way.
IMPORTANT: If your patient opens and closes the cover of their inhaler without inhaling the medicine, the dose will be lost. Your patient should be ready to take the medicine before opening the cover.
- It may not be possible to taste or feel the medicine, even when using the inhaler correctly
- The patient should be careful not to shake the inhaler, block the air vents with their fingers, or breathe out into the inhaler
- The dose counter will count down by one unit at a time. If the dose counter does not count down when you hear the ‘click’, the inhaler will not deliver the required dose. If this happens, your patient should take the inhaler back to the pharmacy.
- For Trelegy Ellipta and Relvar Ellipta, it is recommended to rinse your mouth with water after you have used the inhaler, do not swallow.
- Van der Palen, J., et al., NPJ Primary Care Respiratory Medicine, 2016. 26: p. 16079.
- GlaxoSmithKline UK. Trelegy Ellipta 92/55/22 mcg inhalation powder Summary of Product Characteristics.
- GlaxoSmithKline UK. Anoro Ellipta 55/22 mcg inhalation powder, pre-dispensed Summary of Product Characteristics.
- GlaxoSmithKline UK. Relvar Ellipta 92/22 mcg inhalation powder, pre-dispensed Summary of Product Characteristics.
- GlaxoSmithKline UK. Incruse 55 mcg inhalation powder, pre-dispensed Summary of Product Characteristics.
Adverse events should be reported. Reporting forms and information can be found at https://yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/ or search for MHRA Yellowcard in the Google Play or Apple App store. Adverse events should also be reported to GlaxoSmithKline on 0800 221 441.
Anoro and Relvar were developed in collaboration with INNOVIVA