How to use Ellipta inhaler video
Watch our short video for patients on how to use the Ellipta inhaler.
Note: The Ellipta demonstration inhaler should be replaced once the dose counter reaches zero. Used Ellipta inhalers can be recycled and recovered through the Complete the Cycle scheme. To find your nearest participating pharmacy visit www.completethecycle.eu.
IMPORTANT: The Ellipta demonstration device is intended for demonstrating only and not for patient use. Patients should not put the demonstration inhaler in their mouth.
How to use the Ellipta inhaler
These instructions are designed to help show your patients how to use the Ellipta inhaler.
Order an Ellipta How to Use tear pad, a pack of 50
Download a printer-friendly version for patients
The package should only be opened when the patient is ready to begin using the inhaler. Once it is tear open the foil, it should be used within 6 weeks. The "Discard by" date should be written on the inhaler label in the space provided. The “Discard by” date is 6 weeks from the date of opening the tray. After this date the inhaler should no longer be used. The tray can be discarded after first opening. The printer friendly version above includes a space for patients to write down this information.
3 steps for patients:
- Slide the cover down until you hear a ‘click’
- While holding the inhaler away from your mouth, breathe out as far as is comfortable
- Put the mouthpiece between your lips, and close your lips firmly around it
- Take one long, steady, deep breath in and hold this breath for at least 3-4 seconds
- Remove the inhaler from your mouth and breathe out slowly and gently
- Slide the cover upwards as far as it will go to cover the mouthpiece
- It is not necessary to clean the mouthpiece. If you choose to do so, always use a dry tissue
IMPORTANT: The Ellipta Inhalation Trainer is designed to show the HCP that a patient is using the correct inhalation technique for the Ellipta device. If used correctly the trainer will make a whistling sound.
Before your patient starts using their active inhaler, you should consider the following:
The Ellipta demonstration inhaler is packaged in a tray containing a dessicant gel sachet, which should be thrown away with the other packaging.
When it is taken out of the tray, the inhaler will be in the ‘closed’ position (the cover will be shut). It is ready to use straight from the packaging, so there is no need to prepare it for use in any special way.
IMPORTANT: If your patient opens and closes the cover of their inhaler without inhaling the medicine, the dose will be lost. Your patient should be ready to take the medicine before opening the cover.
- It may not be possible to taste or feel the medicine, even when using the inhaler correctly
- The patient should be careful not to shake the inhaler, block the air vents with their fingers, or breathe out into the inhaler
- The dose counter will count down by one unit at a time. If the dose counter does not count down when you hear the ‘click’, the inhaler will not deliver the required dose. If this happens, your patient should take the inhaler back to the pharmacy.