Watch a video comparison of Avamys spray viscosity versus 2 competitor INS's devices
How to use Avamys device video
A step by step guide to preparation and use of the Avamys nasal spray device.
Avamys is preferred over MFNS* 7 8
- Several perceived sensory attributes of FFNS were rated significantly superior to MFNS 7
- FFNS may contribute to enhanced treatment outcomes in AR patients due to improved treatment adherence 7
Overall, significantly more patients preferred FFNS over MFNS, p<0.001 8
Overall 5 patients (2%) reported AEs with FFNS and 13 patients (4%) with MFNS. Few common AEs were reported: rhinorrhoea, nasal discomfort, cough. No severe safety issues were identified during the study. 8
*Multicentre, randomised, double-blind, cross-over study where patient (n=300) preferences were determined by using three questionnaires
(Overall Preference, Immediate Attributes and Delayed Attributes).
AE: Adverse event; AR: Allergic rhinitis; FFNS: Fluticasone furoate nasal spray; FPNS: Fluticasone propionate nasal spray; MFNS: Mometasone furoate nasal spray.
- Vasar M, Houle PA, Douglass JA, et al. Fluticasone furoate nasal spray: Effective monotherapy for symptoms of perennial allergic rhinitis in adults/adolescents. Allergy Asthma Proc. 2008;29(3);313-321.
- Avamys SmPC available on medicines.ie last accessed May 2022 https://www.medicines.ie/medicines/avamys-27-5-micrograms-spray-nasal-spray-suspension-31374/spc
- Berger WE, Godfrey JW, Slater AL. Intranasal corticosteroids: the development of a drug delivery device for fluticasone furoate as a potential step toward improved compliance. Expert Opin Drug Deliv. 2007;4(6):689-701.
- Berger WE, Godfrey JW, Grant AC, et al. Fluticasone furoate (FF) nasal spray: development of a next-generation delivery system for allergic rhinitis [abstract no. 907]. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2007;119:S231.
- Godfrey JW, Grant AC, Slater AL. Fluticasone Furoate (FF) Nasal spray-ergonomic considerations for a next generation delivery system. J Allergy Clin lmmunol. 2007;119(Suppl. 1):S230.
- Meltzer EO, Stahlman JE, Leflein J, et al. Preferences of adult patients with allergic rhinitis for the sensory attributes of fluticasone furoate versus fluticasone propionate nasal sprays: A randomized, multicenter, double-blind, single-dose, crossover study. Clin Ther. 2008;30(2):271-279.
- Yonezaki M, Akiyama K, Karaki M, et al. Preference evaluation and perceived sensory comparison of fluticasone furoate and mometasone furoate intranasal sprays in allergic rhinitis. Auris Nasus Larynx. 2016;43(3):292-297.
- Yanez A, Dimitroff A, Bremner P, et al. A patient preference study that evaluated fluticasone furoate and mometasone furoate nasal sprays for allergic rhinitis. Allergy Rhinol. 2016;7(4):e183–e192.
Adverse events should be reported directly to the Health Products Regulatory Authority (HPRA) on their website: www.hpra.ie . Adverse events should also be reported to GlaxoSmithKline on 1800 244 255.
Avamys is a registered trademark of the GlaxoSmithKline group of companies