The 2DR Era
Is it time to rethink the way we treat HIV?
What is the 2DR era?
No one should take more medicines than they need
2DR: Meeting a clinical need
The HIV treatment landscape has changed dramatically over the past 30 years, with each decade serving as a foundation for the next to build upon. Today marks the beginning of the next era in HIV therapy...THE 2DR ERA.
- A 20-year-old starting a 3-drug regimen may be on therapy for nearly 6 DECADES, which translates to MORE THAN 60,000 DOSES of individual medications6
- Long-term use of ARVs may cause associated long term toxicities
- Comorbidities and polypharmacy increase the RISK OF DRUG-DRUG INTERACTIONS
- The availability of MORE EFFICACIOUS ARVs WITH HIGHER BARRIERS TO RESISTANCE LIKE DOLUTEGRAVIR (DTG), have made it possible to establish a 2DR TREATMENT PARADIGM, creating the opportunity for TIVICAY + lamivudine and JULUCA to:
See how a 2DR can benefit your patients
What makes DTG an ideal core agent to power a 2DR?
Tivicay is indicated in combination with other antiretroviral medicinal products for the treatment of HIV-Infected adults, adolescents and children above 6 years of age.9
Epivir is indicated as part of antiretroviral combination therapy for the treatment of Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) infected adults and children.10
Juluca is indicated for the treatment of HIV-1 infection in adults who are virologically-suppressed on a stable ARV regimen for ≥6 months with no history of virological failure and no known or suspected resistance to any NNRTI or INI.11
Tivicay + lamivudine is only suitable for the treatment of HIV-1 infection where there is no known or suspected resistance to the integrase inhibitor class, or to lamivudine.
†TIVICAY + lamivudine was studied in HBV-negative patients with viral loads up to 500,000 copies/mL.
‡Figure based on IMS data as of March 2018.23
- A timeline of HIV/AIDS. https://www.hiv.gov/sites/default/files/aidsgov-timeline.pdf. Accessed December 2018.
- Llibre JM, et al. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2016;71:856-861.
- Antiretroviral drugs used in the treatment of HIV infection. http://www.fda.gov/ForPatients/Illness/HIVAIDS/Treatment/ucm118915.htm. Accessed December 2018.
- ViiV Healthcare receives EU marketing authorisation for Juluca (dolutegravir/rilpivirine), the first 2-drug regimen, once-daily, single pill for the treatment of HIV [news release]. London, UK: ViiV Healthcare group of companies; May 21, 2018. https://www.viivhealthcare.com/en-gb/media/press-releases/2018/may/viiv-healthcare-receives-eu-marketing-authorisation-for-juluca-dolutegravirrilpivirine-the-first-2-drug-regimen-once-daily-single-pill-for-the-treatment-of-hiv/. Accessed December 2018.
- ViiV Healthcare. 2018 Press Release. ViiV Healthcare receives CHMP Positive Opinion for Tivicay EU label update with GEMINI study data for the 2-drug regimen of Tivicay + lamivudine. Available at: https://www.viivhealthcare.com/media/press-releases/viiv-healthcare-receives-chmp-positive-opinion-for-tivicay-eu-label-update-with-gemini-study-data-for-the-2-drug-regimen-of-tivicay-plus-lamivudine.aspx Last accessed: December 2018.
- The Antiretroviral Therapy Cohort Collaboration. Lancet HIV. 2017;4:e349-e356.
- Aboud M, et al. Presented at: International AIDS Conference; July 23-27, 2018; Amsterdam, Netherlands. Poster THPEB047.
- Cahn P, et al. Presented at: International AIDS Conference; July 23-27, 2018; Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- TIVICAY Summary of Product Characteristics. Available from: https://www.medicines.ie/medicines/tivicay-film-coated-tablets-33993/, last accessed: December 2018.
- EPIVIR Summary of Product Characteristics. Available from: https://www.medicines.ie/medicines/epivir-film-coated-tablets-150mg-32047/, last accessed: December 2018.
- JULUCA Summary of Product Characteristics. Available from: https://www.medicines.ie/medicines/juluca-50-mg-25-mg-film-coated-tablets-34548/, last accessed: December 2018.
- Data on file. Positive Perspectives survey data. ViiV Healthcare group of companies. Research Triangle Park, NC.
- Walmsley S, et al. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2015;70(5):515-519.
- Molina J-M, et al; on behalf of the FLAMINGO study team. Lancet HIV. 2015;2(4):e127-e136.
- Orrell C, et al; on behalf of the ARIA study team. Lancet HIV. 2017;4:e536-e546.
- Aboud M, et al. Presented at: Annual International AIDS Conference; July 23-26, 2017; Paris, France.
- Cahn P, et al; on behalf of the extended SAILING Study Team. Lancet. 2013;382(9893):700-708.
- Raffi F, et al; on behalf of the extended SPRING-2 Study Group. Lancet Infect Dis. 2013;13(11):927-935.
- Gallant J, et al. Lancet. 2017;390(10107):2063-2072.
- Sax PE, et al. Lancet. 2017;4;390(10107):2073-2082.
- Molina J-M, et al. Lancet HIV. 2018;5(7):e357-e365.
- Data on file. IMS INI molecules by prescription volume globally, January 2015 to March 2018 (estimate). ViiV Healthcare group of companies. Research Triangle Park, NC.
- Data on file. Global dolutegravir (TIVICAY + TRIUMEQ + JULUCA) patient exposure expressed as total patient years (absolute). ViiV Healthcare group of companies. Research Triangle Park, NC.